https://www.lillyweston.com/ Lilly Weston House:
Thanks to the hard work of our Lilly Weston House Committee, our Members and the Westlake city officials, after a fourteen year hiatus the Lilly Weston house has been welcoming visitors this summer! Our first visitor to sign the new guest book was Mayor Dennis Clough who encouraged city staff to apply for a $200,000 Ohio Cultural Facilities Grant last winter. The grant has been appropriated and city staff and the city’s architect are in the beginning stages of preparing a work program for the next stage of renovation.
Upcoming Open House:
If you haven’t seen it yet, you have one more chance this year to see the Dover History “Pop-up” museum inside the Lilly Weston House. Displays include a time line of Dover/Westlake history, a history of the land that was once attached to the Lilly Weston house, original George Weston family artifacts, arrowheads found in Dover and 19th century sleigh, pony cart and farm tools.
The Lilly Weston House will be open during the Recreation Center Fall Festival from 1:00 to 4:00 pm on Saturday October 13th. Special child-oriented events are planned.
You can park at the Westlake Recreation Center parking lot and hike the Recreation Center Park All Purpose Trail toward Center Ridge Road where it connects with the Heritage Loop Trail that passes by the Lilly Weston House.
"The Lilly Weston House "This rare sandstone house was built for Austin (c. 1788-1848) and Roxanna (Sears) Lilly (c. 1793-1868). They came to Dover Township (now Westlake) in 1832 from Ashfield, Massachusetts, an area from which many Dover settlers originated. This lot had been owned by Ozias and Hiram Smith. The Lillys erected this house in about 1844 and lived here until 1867. It is made with sandstone blocks two feet thick, finely tooled and dressed in the front and less elaborately on the sides and rear. The basement is constructed with massive rectangular stone blocks. Thick hewn timbers support the massive roof structure. A brick wing was attached to the east side in about 1850. After 1867, the lot and house had several owners, including George Weston, James Beardsley, and August Trudel. Eventually, Alice (Mrs. Dezso) Ladanyi, the great granddaughter of George Weston, deeded the house to the city of Westlake for use as a museum.
The sandstone used to construct this house, which displays the skill and craftsmanship of early Ohio builders, came from a local quarry, probably near Porter Road. Sandstone was rarely used to build houses because of the immense labor to extract, transport, and assemble massive stone blocks into a residence. Wood and brick were more common building materials. This area has immense deposits of sandstone, used for the Canadian Parliament Buildings, public buildings in Toronto, plus sidewalks, curbs and buildings throughout Ohio. Several nearby houses are made of sandstone, including a small farmhouse farther west on this road, a finely crafted house at Schwartz and Nagel roads, and Stone Eagle Farm, 33065 Detroit Road, perhaps the region's finest early sandstone house. Nearby Amherst, home to the world's largest sandstone quarry, has a collection of moved and restored early stone buildings at Milan Avenue and Lake Street.
Latitude / Longitude
41.444983 ° / -81.93175 ° - Map Marker
27946 Center Ridge Road
Westlake, OH 44145